Wednesday, February 13, 2008

First day of Family Time class!

I just want to write a few words about how much fun I had in Family Time class today! This was the first time I've taught this class and I can tell already that I am going to LOVE it! A unique aspect of Family Time classes is that the class uses a "One Room Schoolhouse" type of approach with children from newborn-7 years old. The older children model for the little ones so the big kids gain confidence as "leaders" while the younger kids get the benefit of learning from their older friends and siblings!

I also love how the class gives the families the opportunity to bond, not only between parent and child, but between siblings. It's really fun to watch how the siblings interact with each other...sharing toys, getting instruments for their brothers and sisters, giving hugs...usually very sweet!

I also loved hearing a room full of little voices singing songs that they only just learned today and I can't wait to hear the music we'll make in a few weeks when the kids are even more familiar with the songs!

Our lion puppet, Rex was also a big hit! I enjoyed watching the kids respond to my (pretty lowsy!) imitation of a lion voice when Rex joined the class and seeing the excitement when everyone got their Home Materials with a Rex puppet of their own!

I can't wait until next week for week 2 of Family Time!

No comments: